The mission of the Topfer Family Foundation (TFF) is to fund programs and organizations that connect people to the tools and resources they need to build self-sufficient and fulfilling lives. Programs eligible for TFF funding will adhere to the guidelines listed below and address one or more of the following program areas:
The Topfer family is keenly interested in understanding the unique needs of the communities in which they invest foundation resources. Therefore, contributions are limited to the communities in which the family resides: the greater Austin, Texas and the greater Chicago, Illinois metropolitan areas. In Illinois, preference is given to organizations serving DuPage and Cook counties.
Requirements and Exclusions
- Applicants must have tax-exempt 501(c)(3) status.
- Requests should be submitted online at the link located on the Application page.
TFF does not generally support:
- Grants or loans to individuals
- Loans to charitable organizations
- More than 20 percent of an organization’s operating budget
- Organizations that exclude participants based on race or religion
- The purchase of dinner, gala or raffle tickets
- School fundraisers or events (including sports and other extracurricular activities)
- Tax-generating entities (municipalities, school districts, etc.) for services within their normal responsibilities
- Public or private educational institutions for: recurrent operating, administrative or capital expenses (i.e. acquisition, construction, improvement and maintenance of buildings and equipment), or scholarships that subsidize existing funding base
- Academic or scientific research
- Advertising or marketing efforts
- Political campaigns or purposes
- Any one program more than once a calendar year